- Cable Construction and Dimensional Testing
- Conductor Resistance Testing
- RoHS Compliance Testing
- Cable Insulation Tensile Elongation Measurement
- Shrinkage Tests for Cable Insulation
- Cable Hot Set Testing
- Cable Pressure Testing High Temperatures
- Cable Heat Shock Testing
- Cable Insulation Resistance Testing
- Vertical Flame Test
- Smoke Density Testing for Cables
- Cable Cold Bend Testing
- Cable Cold Elongation Testing
- Gas Emissions Testing for Cables
- Cable Spike Testing
- Cable Tensile Testing After Ageing
- Sheath Resistance Testing
- Mechanical test for Flexible Cable
- Cord Bend Testing
- Cable Snatch Testing
- Cold Impact Test
- Shore A Hardness Cable Testing
- Flex Test for Lift Cables
- Cable Solder Ability Testing
- Thermal Stability Cable Testing
- Crimp & Lug Testing
- Cable Ozone Resistance Testing
- VLF Testing for MV Cables
- UV accelerated Weathering Testing
- Over-Sheath Continuity Testing
- Oil Immersion Testing
- Static Flexibility Testing
- Wear Resistance Testing for Cables
- Water Resistance testing - Mechanical properties of sheath after water immersion
- Heat Resistance Testing for Textile Braids
Cable Cold Elongation Testing
Cold Elongation Testing is conducted to meet the requirements of BS EN 60811-505. It is performed on the insulation and sheathing materials of electrical cables and fibre optic cables with a diameter in excess of 12.5mm. Cables of a smaller diameter are more commonly subject to the Cold Bend Test to IEC 60811-504.
From the prepared sample of cable insulation (thickness between 0.6mm and 2mm) and which has been conditioned at ambient room temperature, 2 dumb-bell shaped test samples are punched vertically in the material; ideally these test samples should come from side-by-side.
These test samples are then placed in a pre-cooled cooling chamber. They are fixed to the tensile and elongation apparatus with clamps at the top and bottom, leaving 30mm of sample between them. They are then left to condition for 2 hours. Once conditioned, the clamps then pull in opposite directions at a speed of 25mm/min, elongating the test samples until the point of break.
The elongation is determined by measuring the distance from start point to point of rupture. To achieve a pass in this test, the elongation must have achieved a minimum 20% increase on the original test sample size before breaking.
Call Sales on +44 (0)20 7241 8787
Click to Email Us We will reply within 3 hours
Technical Hotline +44 (0)20 7241 8500
The Cable Lab®
UKAS-accredited specialist cable testing laboratory
The Cable Lab® our in-house cable testing facility, is UKAS-accredited to ISO 17025, which is the single most important standard for calibration and testing laboratories around the world. Accreditation to this international standard demonstrates our laboratory's technical competence and the accuracy of its results.
For our customers, it means peace of mind. They can have full confidence in the quality of our products and can demonstrate due diligence in selecting their cable supplier.
Our customers can also rely on the Cable Lab's services for an independent, objective and comprehensive quality assessment of cables procured from third parties.
About Eland Cables
Established in 1975, Eland Cables is a supplier of power, data, instrumentation and control cables and cable accessories to the world's most demanding industries and to some of its most prestigious projects. Our reputation is built on an unswerving focus on quality, technical expertise and customer service.
Our focus on quality has resulted in our in-house specialist cable testing facility securing the ISO 17025 accreditation. This certifies the competence, impartiality and performance capability of our laboratory and its evaluations. In turn, it means peace of mind for our customers with regard to the quality of the cables they source from us.
Our highly-qualified technical team is on hand to provide technical support with all aspects of cable selection, technical specification, regulatory requirements, and bespoke cable design and manufacture.
We are a key contributor to projects in over 100 countries every year, adding value through comprehensive technical support, reliable logistics, innovative solutions, and a customer-centric approach.